Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fundraising-Humility?

In addition to applying for (and receiving) a scholarship, cooking paella and sending letters requesting donations, I've also made a Facebook event, mentioning my time frame (hoping to have money at least for vaccines and airfare by the first of July), my address and facts about my semester. I'll admit, I don't always pay attention to the groups on Facebook or the mass emails people typically send. At the same time, I figured that it was worth a shot. I know that I need to reach everyone possible. I really want to go. I need money. I need to do all I can (morally) in order to raise it.

I'll admit, I've had issues asking for money. I don't want to seem like I'm bumming off people, mooching their support. I don't want to be the kind who asks for money, especially considering that I have a job and I should be grateful for the money I do make, given this economy. I don't want to ask for one more sacrifice from people who may already be struggling, whether to cut extras or to keep a roof over their heads.

At the same time, I realize that it is an act of humility. In essence, I'm telling people, "I can't do this without you. I need your support. Whether it's financial or emotional, it doesn't matter! Just let me know you're on my side, one way or another!" Of course, this includes thanking them, not just by words, but by action, and using the money they do send responsibly, carefully earmarking it for Kenya. This includes making the most of this experience, knowing that this is an investment. Finally, it means accepting that we were meant to help each other, that, as much as we are obligated to help, we must enable others to help us and give them a chance to do something good (of course, this does not mean taking advantage of them).

We were put on this earth to aid each other, to make our own unique contributions and aid others in making theirs. Funny how a business-oriented act can become so philosophical.

No comments:

Post a Comment