Thursday, March 4, 2010

The forms are done......Everything's in.....

As of 10:15 AM today, my abroad application was completed. I finally got my passport pictures taken and my recommendation was turned in. Now, I just have to wait.

I know I'll most likely get in. I don't say this out of conceit, rather, that's how the programming works through our school. As long as your GPA is above a C, you don't have disciplinary records or anything that would keep you from traveling, you're in. Still, it won't feel real to me until they ask for my $500 deposit.

I don't know what I'm feeling right now. I'm sick, so any excitement is diluted by my current state of foggy brain. I also have my midterm exams this week, so I've been a bit preoccupied.

Still, I'm in shock. I'm both amazed and thankful that I can have opportunities like this. I'm thankful that I can and that so many people are willing to support me in this endeavor. I'm humbled by the fact that people believe in me so much. I'm excited that I can do this.

At the same time, I'm nervous. I'm nervous about going away for four months. I'm nervous about the poverty I know I'll see. At the same time, I'm nervous about my reaction. I want to serve in whatever capacity opens for me, but I don't want to come across as a condescending know-it-all, simply because I'm a white, Western Christian who was born into considerable privilege and has the good fortune of post-secondary education, cash, and fairly reliable democracy.

Another obstacle is out of my way. Stay tuned.......

1 comment:

  1. Wow thank you for sharing your experience, Ill make sure to stay tune. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete